UK Spouse Visa

UK Spouse Visa

A UK spouse / civil partnership visa is a type of family visa in the UK. The application is made by the wife, husband or civil partner of a person settled in the UK.

A settled person is someone living in the UK who is either a British citizen, holds indefinite leave to remain, or holds leave as a refugee or under humanitarian protection. The settled person is called the ‘sponsor’ for the Spouse visa UK application purpose.

Similar to the spouse visa, a civil partner visa application is made by the same-sex civil partner of a person settled in the UK. Spouse visa applications and civil partner visa applications are treated in exactly the same way by the immigration authorities.

spouse visa uk

Non-EEA nationals living in the UK as a family member of EEA national can apply for the EEA Residence Card or settled / pre-settled status instead.

A spouse visa in the UK, also known as a spouse visa / partner visa, is a type of visa that allows an individual to join their spouse or partner who is a British citizen or settled person in the UK. This visa category falls under the Family route of the UK immigration system.

Applying for UK Spouse Visa

Spouse visa applications may be made from outside the UK or, in some circumstances, from inside the UK, so the applicant may be applying either to come to the UK as a wife or husband, or to remain in the UK as a spouse. Please note it is not possible to apply for a spouse visa inside the UK on a visitor visa or with a visa which is valid for six months or less (expect fiancee visa).

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK is an immigration status that grants an individual the right to live and work in the country without any time restrictions. ILR is also known as settlement or permanent residency. It allows individuals to stay in the UK for an indefinite period and provides them with a wide range of benefits, such as access to public funds, healthcare, and education.

UK Spouse Visa Requirements

There are four main requirements for the UK Spouse visa or Civil Partner visa applications:

  • A financial requirement of £18,600. This can be met through employment, self-employment, being director of own company, savings, non-employment income or, in some cases, a combination of a few sources mentioned previously. There are separate rules for those claiming certain benefits.
  • A requirement that the relationship is genuine and subsisting.
  • Accommodation requirement. The applicant must also show that there will be sufficient accommodation for them and their partner and any dependants.
  • English language requirement of A1 CEFR for the initial application and A2 CEFR at the extension stage.